K A T I E H O L M E S :
The Girl Next Door
Katie Holmes at University of Toledo: What you need to know
By Kirk Baird
Katie Holmes is a star of television, film, and Broadway.
And on Saturday morning, she will be the star of University of Toledo’s graduation ceremony at the Glass Bowl, as the Toledo-born and raised actress delivers the undergraduate commencement address to approximately 2,000 graduates and their family and friends, and even fans in the stands.
"We are excited to have Katie Holmes come and speak to our graduates and inspire our newest alumni," said Meghan Cunningham, Director of University Communications. "She is a Toledo native with close connections to Toledo University and we're looking forward to her sharing her experiences and accomplishments."
What you should know about the event:
- The undergraduate ceremony, which is free and open to the public, begins at 10 a.m., but plan to arrive as early as 8:30. That's when shuttle service begins, and will also allow for walking time on campus and to find good seats in the 26,000-capacity stadium. The university recommends guests enter the campus from the west — Secor Road — and park in areas 25 and 26. Oh, and dress for rain.
- Holmes' address will be less than 20 minutes and will be streamed live along with the full graduation ceremony at video.utoledo.edu.
- The 40-year-old actress is a 1997 graduate of Notre Dame Academy, but did not attend the University of Toledo; however, her father and brother, Martin Holmes Sr., and Martin Holmes Jr., received law degrees from The University of Toledo College of Law.
- Holmes joins a list of previous commencement speakers that includes the late Sergio Marchionne, the CEO of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and president of Ferrari, and UT graduate Christi Paul, weekend morning anchor of CNN New Day and an anchor on CNN’s Headline News.
- In an April 15 meeting, The UT Board of Trustees approved an honorary degree for Holmes: Doctor of Humane Letters. As with university policy, Holmes receives no financial compensation for preparing and delivering the commencement address.